Skin needling is a safe and increasingly popular skin renewal technique to restore the healthy youthful appearance of your skin at a fraction of the cost of comparable treatments and with minimal or zero downtime.
Skin needling produces comparable results to ‘ablative techniques’ such as lasers, dermabrasion and deep chemical peels, but is much less invasive and does not require the removal of the skin surface. As a result, healing time is shorter and there is no post-treatment sensitivity to UV light. Skin needling produces better results than other “non-ablative techniques” with virtually no pain or post-treatment discomfort. Skin needling is also one of the few skin therapies that is suitable for treating all skin types, including ethnic skin and fragile skin around the eyes, mouth, hands, neck and décolletage.
How does Skin Needling Work?
The micro-needles penetrate the top layers of the skin and create pin-point injuries in the deeper layers. This triggers the body’s natural wound healing response. As a result, new collagen and elastin is formed to reduce wrinkle depth, increase skin elasticity and improve the appearance of scars and other skin flaws. The concept of skin needling (also known as Collagen Induction Therapy) is based on the skin’s natural ability to repair itself whenever it encounters physical damage such as cuts, burns or other abrasions. Immediately after an injury occurs to the skin, the body removes the damaged collagen, elastin and other structures which are then replaced by new components. Skin needling allows for controlled induction of the skin’s self-repair mechanism by creating micro-injuries which trigger new collagen synthesis, yet does not pose the risk of permanent scarring. The result is smoother, firmer and younger looking skin. Results can be quite spectacular.
The micro-needles penetrate the top layers of the skin and create pin-point injuries in the deeper layers. This triggers the body’s natural wound healing response. As a result, new collagen and elastin is formed to reduce wrinkle depth, increase skin elasticity and improve the appearance of scars and other skin flaws.
What Results Can I Expect?
Visible signs of skin rejuvenation are usually seen after just 6 weeks following the treatment and continue to improve for up to a year or more. Medik8 recommends a minimum course of 3 skin needling treatments, at 6 week intervals to achieve optimum results.
For ageing skin
- Restores skin firmness and tightness to flaccid skin.
- Thickens the dermis and enhances dermal compactness.
- Smoothes away wrinkles, lines, folds and crow’s feet.
- Improves skin texture.
- Improves the appearance of large pores
- Reduces the appearance of atrophic and hypertrophic scars.
- Improves scars caused by chicken pox and acne.
- Relaxes old scars.
- Improves old surgical scars.
- Lightens pigmentation marks.
For stretch marks and cellulite
- Improves the appearance of stretch marks.
- Improves the appearance of cellulite.
Advantages over other skin treatments
- Short healing time
- Minimal down time (24 hours)
- Minimal discomfort post-treatment
- Cost effective alternative to laser, e.g. Fraxel
- Painless (topical anaesthetics can be used)
- Minimal or no side effects
- NO skin damage (epidermis left intact)
- NO skin sensitivity to UV light
- NO risk of permanent skin discolouration
- Suitable for all skin types
- Suitable for thin skin
Genuine titanium microneedle dermaroller
- Titanium microneedle composition
- Easy, safe and cost effective in-salon treatment
- Sterile device
- Can be used on the face and body
- Can be used on thin skin treated with chemical peels and laser
- Compatible with all Medik8 creams and serums
- Medik8 microneedles are made in the EU and are precision-engineered from titanium.
- Titanium gives the needles a finer and much more endurable edge – causing less pain and irritation as compared to ordinary stainless steel rollers.
- Titanium does not blunt like stainless steel
- Titanium does not pit or become damaged like stainless steel after use – there is no tearing of the skin which could cause scarring.
- Each individual Medik8 Titanium Dermaroller microneedle is gold plated to maintain sterility.
- Each Medik8 Titanium Roller has 192 needles for maximum efficacy ( 38 on the stamp)
- Lack of skin radiance
- Lack of skin firmness and compactness
- Rough and uneven skin texture; Fine lines, wrinkles, folds and crow’s feet
- Hyperpigmentation; Scars, especially indented acne or chicken pox scars
How does it work?
- Skin Needling with the Medik8 Titanium Dermaroller results in the formation of thousands of miniscule pin prick wounds in the targeted skin tissue.
- Each of those pin prick wounds is an onset of the normal healing process occurring in the broken skin and leads to new collagen being laid down in the upper dermal layer of the skin.
- A single microneedle injury would not trigger noticeable collagen formation, but collectively the thousands of minute injuries produce collagen layers on a scale similar to laser therapies.
- Consecutive skin needling sessions produce new collagen progressively until indented scars and deep lines are filled.
- Studies show that pre-treatment with microneedles will dramatically increase the penetration and therefore therapeutic effect of topical treatments.
- Up to 300% greater absorption of active ingredients can be achieved following a skin needling treatment
Skin priming is essential for at least 4 weeks before appointment.
Skin priming is performed in order to:
- Reduce the risk of complications
- Accelerate and improve microneedle injury healing results
- Help to prevent herpes simplex outbreaks
- Help to prevent inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Encourage client compliance with post-treatment recommendations
Recommendations for the Skin Priming
At least 4 weeks prior to the procedure:
- Everyone –C Tetra, Retinol and Red Alert for at least 4 weeks pre- and post- treatment
- Thick Skin – In patients with very thick skin – 1 or 2 superficial peels
- Prone to Herpes – prophylactic antiviral therapy with acyclovir or famciclovir, starting 2 days prior to the procedure and continued for 3 days until re‐epithelialisation is complete
- Prone to Hyperpigmentation – White balance serum for a minimum of 4 weeks before their procedure appointment
- Easily bruised skin – topical vitamin K all over the treatment area for 1‐2 days before each Skin Needling treatment and continue for 2‐3 days post treatment. Arnica tablets 3 days prior and 3 days post treatment
Immediately after the treatment – The Specialised Therapist will apply the topical layer of Medik8 serums and creams which need to be left on the skin overnight. And a set of Medik8 prescriptive after care products will be recommended for use on a daily basis until the next appointment in 6 weeks time.
After the skin has healed (24h later) – Mineral make‐up can be used after approximately 24 hours post treatment AHA and BHA’s can be used to soften and superficially resurface the epidermis but only after the skin has totally recovered from the skin needling procedure. A normal skincare regimen can be resumed once the skin has completely healed.
Recommended skincare in between needling sessions – The use of the Personal Medik8 Titanium Dermaroller along with the daily application of topical vitamin C and A is highly recommended for the acceleration of regenerative processes and consolidation of procedure results.
Compatible products: Personal Medik8 Titanium Dermaroller (0.2mm and 0.3mm); C‐Tetra or CE‐Tetra, Retinol 3TR, Retinol Eye TR, Growth Factor serum, Hydr8 SPF25.
Post-treatment skin appearance
Day 1 – The skin may be affected by light to moderate redness, sensitivity to touch, itchiness and tightness
Day 2 – The skin redness subsides or is greatly diminished
Day 3 – The treated skin area heals and there is barely any evidence that the procedure has taken place
Downtime: 24 hours
Before & After Photos for Skin Needling Treatments